Takeaway owner fined £2,000 for glass in food
By poppy_smith | Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:36
A takeaway owner has been fined £2,000 after a piece of shattered lightbulb was found in a chicken dish bought by a member of the public from his restaurant.
Abdurahim Teymuroglu, 35, who runs Divan Restaurant in Hertford Road, Enfield, was prosecuted by Enfield Council and pleaded guilty at Enfield Magistrates Court on January 25 to an offence under Regulation 17 of the Food Hygiene (England) Act and was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £450 costs.
The court heard that Enfield Council's Environmental Health Officers investigated the restaurant after a member of the public found glass in a £6 meal deal from Divan restaurant in November 2011 containing rice couscous, chicken and potatoes in sauce.
During interview, Mr Teymuroglu said he had not received any complaints but admitted a light bulb had smashed while he was changing it and then fallen into open lamb and chicken dishes under the hot display cabinet and although he had removed the lamb he had failed to change the chicken.
Enfield Council's Cabinet Member for Environment, Cllr Chris Bond, said: "Luckily no one was injured as a result of the presence of broken glass in this food but this incident could have had tragic consequences.
"Enfield Council takes the safety of consumers extremely seriously in this borough and we work very hard to ensure residents are protected from poor hygiene and dangerous food practices.
"This sentence sends out a strong message that food premises need to pay very careful attention to the safety of their food, we will not allow businesses to play Russian roulette with the safety of customers and we'll continue to take prompt and effective action to protect the public wherever we find safety breaches."